Sharing is Caring

Photo from here.

The parable of the fish and loaves is one of my favorite stories in the Bible. Its message is simple--sharing.

I am from the Philippines and I am very much aware that ever since the government announced the stay-at-home order because of the coronavirus pandemic, a lot of people have become poorer and that majority worry about their daily living. I currently live in the US and I can see the contrast between the effects of the order between a third world country and the US. I didn't worry for my family here in as much as I worried about my family and friends back in the  Philippines because we still have our jobs and we still can provide for our family. For that I am grateful.

It hurts me to watch in the news that food and resources that are supposed to be for the people, land in the hands of corrupt government officials. I feel angry about a lot of people's deliberate disregard for authority and guidelines to prevent the spread of the disease. How selfish can these people be? Selfishness is the other disease that will kill us all. Perhaps it is deadlier than the actual virus itself. I just cannot fathom the reasoning of some people that their freedom is of greater importance than the lives of others.

It is true that the best and worst of us will show in times of disasters. I still believe in the humanity of humans. I still believe that there's more good people out there than the bad. I still believe that there is a chance for us to battle this disease. If we all look after each other, no one will be hungry, no one will succumb to the disease without a fair fight.

I salute all those who continue to work in the front line. Their selflessness is what keeps us still alive and I hope we return the favor by staying at home, social distancing, wearing a mask and washing our hands.

I hope that this time of the pandemic, we will take some time out and reflect what our lives have become and if it is according to the will of the God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye September, Hello October

Random Clicks: SVD (Divine Word Seminary), Tagaytay City

50 Questions Challenge, Day 6: Do you believe you can have your cake and eat it, too?